What are Spur Gear Winches?
We regularly get asked what is the difference between a spur gear and worm gear hand winch. Here we will talk about the specifications of a spur gear winch and which applications it is suitable for.
Spur gears can be used to increase or decrease the torque, or power, of a given object. Spur gears are those in which the teeths of the gears are straight and parallel to the axis of the gear shaft.
- Spur gears have high power transmission efficiency.
- They are compact and easy to install.
- They offer constant velocity ratio.
- Unlike belt drives, spur gear drives have no slip.
- Spur gears are highly reliable.
This type of winch is fitted with a self sustaining brake with ratchet and pawl mechanism.
Operation of the winch many be from the front or side (depending on the model).
The Winchshop Spur Gear Range Summary;
- Rope drum storage capacities vary from 8 to 35.4 metres.
- Rope diameters vary from 2 to 13mm.
- Maximum SWL vary from 45 to 3,000kg
For further information please follow this link to our range of spur gear winches.